Thread: Larry Brooks: Rangers will pay if Shelley leaves
View Single Post
Old
06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Look, as everyone knows, I am NOT a big fan of goons who bring nothing more than goonery. I was thrilled with letting Orr go, until I learned that it was only to replace him with Brashear.

Having said that, it's undeniable that Shelley had an impact on this team last year. And, much to my surprise, he was not a liability when he got the occasional shift. As others have posted, this particular situation is about recognizing someone who has FIT on your team and not undervaluing that fact. Whoever fills this role is going to be paid just about the same as Shelley anyway. There is precious enough else right with this team - why mess with one of the aspects (even if it is relatively minor) that is?

If there are other reasons why they haven't locked him up yet and this is strictly a timing thing, no problem. But if we're cavalierly letting him go because we think that Byers or someone else can replace him with no ill side effects...? Mistake.

EDIT: if anything, I would want Shelley here WiTH Weise/Byers to coach 'em up and learn how to play the role they're going to play. My ideal would be to have him here as a 13th forward (buh-bye Aaron) to play every 4th or 5th game against the tougher teams.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote