View Single Post
Old
10-01-2003, 10:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Size: Yes Legwand is bigger... but it isn't like he is 215 lbs or anything. He has 4 inches of height, and maybe 10 lbs of weight on Comrie, which isn't a whole lot, and still doesn't make him a "big centre".
i'm staying out of this argument(for once) because i think the old comrie vs legwand debate is never going to be resolved..but i will say this...it says something that a lot more oilers fans would rather have legwand than comrie...whereas hardly any preds fans would rather have comrie than legwand. if we had both...comrie would center the second line, and legwand would remain the top-line center.

I just had to point out that I believe you're looking at an outdated stat for legwand. several places(including the preds website) had him listed as 190 pounds...which he hasn't been, since the beginning of last season. he now weighs in at 210, which makes him not 15 pounds heavier than comrie, but 35. 4 inches and 35 pounds is a pretty substantial difference.

I also think that Legwand is more than just "good" defensively. Legwand is every bit as good defensively as Comrie is offensively. the difference is...Legwand has the ability, and likely will...get much better offensively. People felt that he was a bust because he didn't put up the numbers he put up in the OHL within the first few seasons, but it should be noted that Trotz was responsible for that. Legwand's point-getting ability isn't really in question...but Barry Trotz is an adamant supporter of defensive hockey, and it was made clear to David that if he couldn't concentrate on doing his job defensively, his role on the team would be much less than he'd like it to be. That said, he focused on his forechecking and slowly became a dominant player in that regard. Mike Modano himself said, "David Legwand is probably the hardest forward to work around in the league, as far as I'm concerned." Look the Predators record versus the Stars, last year...we absolutely owned them...and a lot of that has to do with the fact that Modano was SHUT DOWN by Legwand. His offensive game isn't lacking...it just hasn't caught up yet, and was showing signs of doing so last year...and will continue to do so, this year. I see Legwand as a 30-35\55-65 type of guy, when all is said and done, and I don't think the Modano comparison is as lofty as some think.