View Single Post
Old
03-27-2005, 09:15 AM
tomerez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
I don't think anyone will forget that incident involving Gretzky and Gilmour. Did you know that just last year Kerry apologized for missing that call. He acknowledged his mistake and said he was sorry. What the heck is sorry good now?

He even went on to say that his father was receiving threats where he lived.

Then there's that Bill Barilko story. If you don't know, in short it goes something like this:

Bill Barilko scored arguably the most famous goal in Maple Leaf history in Game Five of the 1951 Stanley Cup Final. This overtime marker against Montreal's Gerry McNeil clinched the seventh championship in franchise history. Sadly, it would be the last triumph for Barilko. Later that summer, he disappeared in a plane crash north of Cochrane, Ontario. In an ironic twist of fate, the Maple Leafs did not win another Stanley Cup until 1962, the same year that his remains were finally found.
I was aware of both of those, even as a young'n; the Tragically Hip as well as the retiring of Barilko's number have familiarized me with the story. While that can be considered curse-like since it involves a particularly strange coincidence, I don't feel the current Leafs draught possesses many of these strange coincidences.