View Single Post
Old
06-29-2010, 01:37 AM
TheHMan

vCash: 500
For the slapshot... it's mostly because you're new. The easiest way to get into the hang of raising a slapshot is to use a smaller windup and move your hand a little lower on the stick. Make sure your snap your wrists properly and sweep at the puck a little more than pushing on the ice. Ultimately it's not proper form, but raising a slapshot is essentially a feel thing, and when you really get a feel for how you're supposed to be contacting the puck, then you can try shooting with loading the stick. Also, being able to look at the target and not the puck is also something I find is important for raising slapshots.

Backhand shots are difficult for beginners because there's a lot of weight transfer that's essentially backwards of what you're used to. It's almost like shooting with the wrong handed stick. The curve you mentioned seems like an open faced blade so you won't be able to use the full length of the blade to really raise the puck effectively.

It is possible to get a backhand shot off with an open faced blade, but it really takes a lot of power in the shot and a really quick snap to elevate it effectively, and it takes quite a bit of practice. You basically have to use the heel to the mid part of the blade to get it on your stick and snap it. It'll take a lot of force to get it stuck to the blade, so that's why weight transfer is important. I generally practice backhanders at the end of each shooting session I do, and it just takes time.

If you're playing in a game or something like that and want to cheat, you can elevate backhanders by essentially doing a snapshot. Just try sweeping the stick along the ice in a backhand fashion and have the blade a bit open. It'll go up, have some decent power but it's not really the most accurate shot, and you can't really mix it in with stick handling as well.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote