View Single Post
Old
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Blacksheep71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yes and I made mention of Landeskog as a Swede. The difference is he's already in North America learning the small rink and different style of play than over in Euro.

I think priorities (aka needs) can be filled multiple ways and I dont think Tallon will just select someone only based on need. But even if we selected another center next season, they'll also be at least 2-3 yrs from making an impact just like Bjugstad.

More importantly, if you select a Swede like Rask, it generally takes a little more time to adjust as I said to small rinks and a different playing style as a result. He may be more willing to go into traffic areas and battles but thats on a bigger ice surface where he has more room to do that. When there's less room around him, there's going to be questions whether that'll translate quickly in his game to NA.

It would benefit Rask to come over to NA to the CHL so he can start that adjustment. If he's as good as you think he is, it will only help him to get drafted earlier as he'll be able to prove he can do all those things in his scouting report against similar competition and on a smaller surface.
I think the issue about ice rink size is a bit of a red herring. Sundin, Forsberg, Henrik Sedin, Backstrom plus others like Kopitar and Malkin, stepped in and stepped up with no acclimitisation in the CHL or AHL

Others like Stefan, Zagrapan and our own Krebs have tanked despite experience in the CHL or equivalent. Others like Mikko Koivu have benefitted from a year in the AHL.

Even at international level, the North Americans were embarassed in Turin on the larger rink, yet were much better in Vancouver, yet the vast majority of the Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Russian rosters play on NHL sized rinks but still performed poorly.

I think if you're good enough, you can step in and step up straight away.

Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote