View Single Post
Old
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Ohhh gosh, nystrom. You have no idea how that simple instruction helped me hahah.

I went out to a public skate today and really tried to work on my left edge stopping. Got it down!! Just by wedge stopping. By the end of the session, i was able to one foot stop on my left edge.

I think the key tip they gave in the video was the shaving the ice. The previous times i've went, i had troubles even standing still and shaving the ice. That kind of got me thinking it was my sharpening, because it should be relatively easy to shave the ice standing still. But i couldn't even do that and when i tried it was choppy at best. But once i got the shaving down, moved on to the wedge stop, and then the one foot, everything got much easier.
Glad I could help, that's what this forum is for.

That's how I've been teaching my kids too, standing against the boards in the corner holding onto the rink ledge and just shaving ice one foot for 10 seconds, then switching to the other foot.

If the stopping is too choppy, make sure your skates are sharpened evenly. A few months back in early April right after I started I had them sharpened poorly, and was still so new that I thought I had regressed in my technique but then I had a guy at my local rink evaluate them and explained they were a disaster... after he sharpened them correctly it was so much easier to stop. As a noob, I was told go with 7/16", but try 1/2" too just to see what you're most comfortable with. Its like with the hockey sticks, you have to try out several types/styles to find out what fits best.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote