View Single Post
Old
06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
If you think so highly of Nodl then this will be the offseason where the Flyers can look at Nodl to replace Asham on the bottom 6. Asham is gone and there will be a spot open. Lets see if he can take it.
I agree. I think right now it's a fight between Nodl and Maroon with Legein and Testwuide (depending on how the organization views him having not seen him in their own controlled situation) ready to give it a good run as well.

Having not seen enough of Testwuide, I can honestly say that I don't know what to expect. Legein is an oddity in and of himself. I know a lot of people like him as a possible finisher on the wing, but like most staff members here at HF, a lot of us want him to prove completely that he's committed before we make any lasting decisions on him. One full AHL season under his belt is a step in the right direction, but it's hardly enough just yet given his history. Holmstrom is another one the organization has talked about competing for a bottom six spot, but like Kalinski, I think that's more reserved for fourth line play. We're looking for a competent top NINE winger. That's vastly different from a bottom six forward.

Quote:
There are things then Laperriere brings to the ice that I dont think Nodl can.
That's fairly obvious. I don't think Laperriere's experience, fortitude, tenacity, or work ethic can be quantified. I certainly wasn't suggesting that Nodl, or anyone on the team for that matter, is in any position to take Laperriere's spot. Out of the players without offensive talents, he is king. Betts and Powe are probably the closest thing to being able to replace Laperriere, and even they fall short.

Quote:
Everyone knows his offensive shortcomings. But not everything a hockey player brings shows up on the scoresheet. The guy sacrifices his body every night. You saw this season why if you ask anyone who played with him who was the toughest SOB on your team. who would they say? Lappy. You cannot compare Lappy to any other bottom 6 guy on this team.
I can compare Lappy to a bottom six player on this team fairly easily. That's what he is. Don't be fooled by what he can do with extremely limited minutes. I worship and respect Lappy as much as the next guy here, but let's not make it seem like the minutes he logs are irreplaceable (though honestly I'd move a ton of other players before I moved him).

Quote:
Not everyone on the bottom 6 is dime a dozen.
The only reason I tend to agree with you is because of what a guy like Laperriere's locker room presence and willingness to do anything to help a team win bring to an organization. Even so, his skill-set is still dime-a-dozen. Lappy gets his own asterisk. He's replaceable, but you wouldn't want to replace him. Betts is fairly close to that level as well.

Quote:
Some are for different reasons. like bringing rookies along slowly(JVR), guys getting demoted because they cant play in the top 6(like Hartnell should of been during the regular season)
Well, I consider the Flyers having a non-traditional top 9, not necessarily a bottom 6.

Quote:
Back to Nodl, looking back at this past season we had a 4th line of Carcillo/Betts/Laperriere which i think most of us can agree was arguably one of the best and toughest 4th lines to play against in the league.
I agree. I think the dynamic was lesser when Powe-Betts-Laperriere was a line. Carcillo on that line changed it from one of the best shut-down lines in the NHL to a dynamic, in-your-face line as well as a fairly defensively sound grouping.

I don't think Nodl brings what Carcillo does (then again I don't consider Carcillo's skill-set vastly important), and I don't think he can make up for Powe's speed, though his defensive capabilities should be around Powe's shortly, particularly with more experiences. I don't think the drop off would be that significant if Nodl switched places with either of them, but the dynamic of the line would change. I don't think we want to change the dynamic.

Quote:
So where does that leave a guy like Nodl if they put that line back together? It will be 3rd line or bust and I am going to go with the latter.
I agree. It pretty much is third line or bust. Not because his play on the fourth line would create a terrible drop-off, but because you want to keep that same dynamic as I explained.

As of right now, Nodl's competition for that final top nine winger is Powe, Carcillo, Maroon, Testwuide, and Legein.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote