View Single Post
Old
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Consider the audience it was intended for. That quote was directed at two entities; the team and the fans. Feeding optimism to fans is what anyone in an entertainment industry must do, and all do it. In sports, being optimistic to the players on a team is what, sadly, is needed for morale.

He's also setting the bar high, and there's nothing at all wrong with it. All competitive people set the bar high. In other interviews, notice we don't get a direct quote from Heika so we're assuming Heika actually understood what Nieuwendyk was saying and correctly interpreted it, Nieuwendyk has been both optimistic and realistic. He's stated there are holes and areas for improvement on the team. He stated he wants improvement on last season. He did not, however, indicate he expects the team to win the Cup, but rather compete as best they can for it.

Feeding optimism is one thing, but at the risk of rehashing a past debate I still contend there is no reason to act like we're retarded, which I personally feel is what he/they are doing when they tell us that they feel like 2010-11 is Stanley Cup or bust.

On the competitive person note, I agree. However, feeling confident and feeling that you can win cannot be separate entities from dealing with the reality of a situation. While I thought playoffs were out of sight well before the Olympic break, and that the pre-break "streak" (if you can call it that) was fool's gold, obviously the team was technically only a few points out of things and thus still theoretically alive.

In my mind he made the mistake of believing in that fool's gold once, which is understandable. But, if he doesn't learn from those mistakes and start coming to grips with the reality of where the Stars are in the Western landscape, he will continue to miss opportunities to "move forward" (his catch phrase the last few weeks).

How anyone worth their salt in hockey circles could have realistically thought that a team incapable of stringing together any more than two consecutive wins in the regular season could magically start winning in the postseason if they were to somehow, some way make it there is beyond me. The self-justifying answer is that it would have taken a few winning streaks of three or more wins at a time to get into the playoffs, and that a team capable of doing that is capable of winning in the playoffs. This is where the uber-optimism comes in and conflicts with reality.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote