View Single Post
Old
06-30-2010, 04:00 PM
RNiner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
If we sign a back up for 2M, one of the main reason for letting Halak go in the first place just went poof - saving a lot of cap space to actually improve the team.
I think most people will begin to see that with the incredible amount of talented young goalies bursting into hockey leagues all over the planet, that paying anything more then 2 mil for any goalie just isn't wise in a cap world, unless you happen to have one of the top 2 or 3 guys. (Even then, I'm skeptical. Would you rather have a 7 mil forward like Kovalchuk and a goalie like Ellis, or Luongo and a 2 mil forward like Moore?) Career-wise, looking at Ellis's and Halak's numbers, they're really not all that different.

Having a guy like Ellis at 2 mil over a guy like Halak at 4 mil not only saves us 2 mil, but gets us a young prospect like Eller, who at his salary is also incredibly valuable in a cap world. Its just good asset management.

That said, I'm going to miss Halak. In a perfect world we'd have no cap, there'd be no RFA and UFA, guys would play where they were drafted, get paid based on their performance, and play with their team for life unless they get traded. Its hard as a fan to follow these players and then have to understand the business side of the sport. Not how it used to be...

Last edited by RNiner: 06-30-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Even if its not Ellis at 2 mil, other guys who fit the 1.5-2 mil range really aren't all that different from Halak either.
RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote