View Single Post
Old
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He made $3.5 last year, is 26 and had 28 goals last year. He will make more than he did last season, people were frustrated by Ryder. Well at least Ryder didn't have such a stretch in between 20 goal seasons, and has had 30 goal season and more 20+ seasons.

Someone will over pay.
There is no denying that some team looking to add a scoring threat will overpay for Stempniak. After all, overpayment one of the top premises for the free agency market, and a scoring streak of 14 goals over a period of 18 games is some pretty impressive stuff.

However, as a Canadiens fan, if I was intending on overpaying a forward in this year's UFA crop, it would be someone bringing different elements to the table than Stempniak (i.e. a grittier forward like Colby Armstrong). Considering the type of forwards the Habs currently have, I clearly don't see the necessity of taking part in a bidding war for Stempniak's services (nor Afinogenov's, a similar player, for that matter).

BTW, just to clarify, Stempniak was making $3.5M last season, but the cap hit on his 3-year deal was $2.5M. So $4M on the market would still be a pretty substantial raise from what he made on average on his last deal.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote