View Single Post
Old
07-01-2010, 09:39 AM
dtrap

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats because you dont understand that it takes talent to win in the NHL and, especially post lockout, it takes a lot of firepower up front.

Gaborik and Kovalchuk on the first two lines creates a formidable top 6 right off the bat....I dont care if you have Erik Christensen, Ryan Callahan, whoever up there with them because Gaborik and Kovalchuk are a lock to score 80+ goals despite their linemates.

As the years go on when contracts start coming off the cap and prospects are fully developed, it'll only get better.
I don't understand what it takes talent win? A monkey could tell you that...the point is that it takes a certain mix of talent.

LHere is what I see. I see the fact that the last bunch of Stanley Cup Champions have had a legit number 1 center, a pair of shutdown defenseman, a pretty average goaltender who happened to get hot at the right time and a group of grinders who will go balls to the wall in the corner but can also chip in some goals. So don't tell me having two superstar wingers is the formula because it's not. The Penguins won the cup and they haven't been able to find the correct wing for Crosby since he came into the league. If great wings was the formula the Capitals would have won three or four by now.

The other problem with your argument is your thought that once those contracts come off the board, we will be ok. You are thinking two years ahead, not 4 or 5. Ok so we dump Redden to sign Kovy. We replace one huge contract with an even bigger one. Gabby still makes a lot and Hank still makes a lot. Staal is going to make a lot in about 2 years (if he doesn't right now...thanks Bobby Orr) and Cally and Dubi are sure to get raises into the 3-3.5 range next offseason. Think a year later..MDZ is up for a new deal and he should get around 3.5 - 4. I think it really is in the Rangers best interest to be patient. There will ALWAYS be good goal scorers available in free agency. A guy like Kovy is the final piece to a Stanley Cup Championship team, a guy you sign when you are coming into or are a season away from a serious run. That is not us. It is silly to sign and guy and say "just you wait until 2013...we'll be ready then."