Thread: Speculation: Trade coming soon?
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2010, 01:12 AM
baydrake
gutless performance

vCash: 500
kubina has a very similar skillset to blake IMO, so vlasic would likely mesh right away with him. i'd guess right about the 5m/yr he made on his last deal - perhaps a tad less since he's approaching age 35, but i'd expect 4.5+ depending on term.

with McLaren, MacIntyre, and a 13th forward penciled in near league minimum (525k) SJ has 4M to sign Seto and leave some injury replacement space (so ~3.5 tops for seto). that means given the likely range of seto's signing the offseason must be roughly cash-neutral or better from here out.

one of murray or huskins is probably a goner. i'll guess murray since DW's comments make it sound like wallin will play with boyle against the "top opponents"

i still have my fingers crossed that seto comes in at 3.25/yr or below, but if murray is the only piece moving there's not enough salary going out to take on a better player who would assuredly have a higher cap hit (only non-cap assets i wouldn't mind SJ trading are lower level goaltender prospects and those aren't worth too much)

so who is replaceable? mitchell? huskins through free agency or moore? if the total deletions include murray, huskins, and mitchell (the secondary bits looking like McGinn-Couture-MacIntyre/Ferriero-Nichol-McLaren/Moore-Demers/near-minimum reserve D) then there's ~8.25M for seto and vlasic's partner (3.25 for seto and 5 for kubina?)

if it's only murray and mitchell, then the cap hit for vlasic's partner+seto could only be at most ~7M (3.25 for seto would only leave 3.83M... pls no bieksa...)

so i expect either some combo of those pieces moves by trade or if a UFA comes in some combo of those pieces will be dumped for scraps since SJ would be over the cap at that point and GMs would wring DW

Last edited by baydrake: 07-02-2010 at 01:17 AM.
baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote