View Single Post
Old
07-02-2010, 11:28 AM
USF Shark
Z˘ion politik˛n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
He needs to, but the longer he waits, the harder it gets because other GM's read his hand and know he needs to do something. He isn't the only buyer out there for a defenseman either. Buffalo lost some defense yesterday and the Ducks, Habs, and I think Ottawa are still shopping for a defenseman.

On the one hand I appreciate that he isn't going to overpay and has a team salary structure he doesn't want to screw up. I think I heard there are only 4 teams that have made the playoffs every year since the lockout. But on the other, at some point you have to reevaluate your hand and determine if your assessment might be off the market price. That's why he dumped Ehrhoff last year. He knew he had to move someone during the summer and waited too long. Its why we brought in Rivet and traded assets. He could have had Roman Hamerlik at a fair price in FA without trading assets but didn't like the price and we skated an ill-prepared Josh Gorges instead.

I am not fully second guessing his hold the line policy because he has to balance salary and assets. But if we go with this defense, he also has to accept the consequence on the ice which might dictate and overreaction at the trade deadline.
There are still good FA defensemen out there. Corvo and Mitchell would be nice.

However, DW seems to prefer to not do the FA thing.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote