Thread: Speculation: Callahan raise thread/2011-2012
View Single Post
Old
07-03-2010, 10:23 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Callahan raise thread/2011-2012

I know we just recently had a Dubinsky raise thread, but this is the off-season. People were saying we were going to have many cap issues (and we are) this season. And always will with that buffoon running the show. However, I came across some striking things that I hadn't realized by doing a little more research today, and it seems as if next year's cap issues are going to be the toughest.

As I posted in the Boogard thread above as a reply:

Quote:
Brashear, Voros, Gilroy, Prospal, Boyle all come off the books next year. And a WHOLE bunch of prospects/minor leaguers go RFA in 2011-2012.

2011-2012 is going to be tougher than now, and if Redden doesn't get sent to the AHL this year, he almost 100% will be next year because we need that money.

As you mentioned, Dubi and Cally need raises as well as Anisimov, and plenty of RFA prospects need to be re-signed, most notably: Grachev, Johnson, Weise, Byers, Kundratek.

With Brashear, Voros, Gilroy, Prospal and Boyle coming off the books next season (you figure none of them are going to be re-signed, maybe Gilroy at a lower price), you'd save roughly ~6.2M. That 6.2M would have to go directly to Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, who are (depending on this season) going to raises that probably look like this:

Callahan from 2.3M to ~3-3.3M long term.
Dubinsky from 1.8M to ~3.5-4M mid term.
Anisimov from entry level 850k~1.5-2M mid term.

If you do the math that's roughly 4 or 4.5M that you've alloted just to keeping these 3 young players, who ARE integral to our success. Now the good part is: these are the only MAIN players that would need to be re-signed. But then you have those prospects.

So, for those of you that can't wait for Redden and his $6.5M cap hit to be in the AHL or *gasp* terminated because he rejects (who seriously ISN'T pushing the bill for that by now?) he will HAVE to be off the roster next season or bought out.
Also: some other things. The cap space now is, what, $5,653,333 (taken from 2010-2011 Salary Cap Thread), and I believe that's without the overage. That money is primarily going to re-signing Staal and Girardi, nothing else. All of that money, actually, because Girardi was reportedly asking ~3M ish, and Staal ~4.5M long term. With the overage, it probably will work, especially with Voros/Rissmiller/probably Redden, etc, to the AHL. But lets just say those two defensemen signed for those amounts.

So you're near the cap max, again, for 2010-2011.

The only players that come off the books next year are, as I mentioned before, saving about ~6.2M or so (not doing the exact figures) which would go to re-signing Dubi, Cally, Anisimov, and probably Grachev or Weise (if they make the team). That's almost all the money, and you're back at the cap floor (unless Redden gets sent down).

In essence, you'd have 10 forwards, 5 d men, and the 2 goalies signed and be at the cap floor. Unless you dropped Redden. And this is all depending on these players staying, no trades, etc.

So, Redden will definitely be gone next year I think. Opinions?

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote