View Single Post
Old
07-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Drive425

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Gomez is overpaid by $1.4M IMO, and has four years left. In two years, he will be tradeable to teams with cap space, since his salary will average only $5M the final two years of his contract.

Given his defensive weaknesses and lack of team play, Kovalchuk would be overpaid by perhaps $7M per year times 10 years.

And you wonder why I think it's a problem.

Gomez is a team player. Kovalchuk can be a DRAG on a team. Atlanta traded him away mid-season last year and their place in the standings didn't suffer one bit. That should tell us something. When Ryan Smyth was traded by Edmonton at the deadline 3 years ago, a heart-sand-soul TEAM player, the team sunk like a rock after that.
First, Gomez cap hit stays the same regardless what point in the contract he is traded so no team is picking him up with 2 years left and a 7+ million cap hit.

Second you think Gomez is worth more then Kovalchuk? Coach, I think you should stick to baseball. Arbitrarily assigning a value to either of these players is foolish and then you think Kovalchuk is only worth 3-5 million. Kovy is an elite player, plain and simple and will be paid accordingly.

Gomez is not an elite player getting paid elite money and the Habs are sufferng because of his contract. Put any spin you want on it because if you compare 7 million contracts, Gomez gets paid more then Iginla, Thornton, Kopitar, Datsyuk, Backstrom and only gets paid $400k less then Nash. Tell me again which contract would be worse?

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote