View Single Post
Old
07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
bipolarhabfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Or the player who makes them competitive again.

Point is, he is a hot commodity for a reason. Every NHL GM knows how good he is and how much better he will make their team. Over his career, despite the shortcomings of the team around him, he has earned the right to demand such a salary. In comparison, last years big UFA, Marian Gaborik, has done a lot less than Kovalchuk but walked away with 7.5 M$ per year. And many will tell you, that signing paid off right away.
The problem is paying someone almost 20% of your cap space. You may not have the money needed to fill out a competitive roster. If he were a center than I might consider it.

Despite what I have said, I would absolutely love him on the Habs. Think about him playing with Gomez and/or Plekanec or getting set up for a shot on the half boards on the PP from Markov and Subban. The only way that could happen is if we trade Kosty and Hamrlik and get no salaries back. Afterwards, we would sign a cheap replacement for Hamr. Doable but very difficult to realize.

I think Kovy is taking his time to make the right decision for himself. If it is all about the money, he will take the Isles offer or one in the KHL. He may also be mulling over a few teams and/or is waiting for the team of his choice to clear some cap space.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote