View Single Post
Old
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
About 5'8" is close enough...and I don't know of any top two centers that size. Wings? Yes. Centers? Can you name one? Cliff Ronning was but he played an awful lot of wing too...still, was the kind of #2 center you win with?
Comrie and Gomez don't seem much bigger, neither does Datsyuk or Koivu... they're all an inch or two bigger... but not much.

People have been writing Martin St. Louis off for years because of his size... most small players get written off by their original teams it seems... Ronning was the same way - a throw-in in the canucks-blues deal, Sullivan left on waivers by Toronto... I'm surprised that Gionta actually developed with his original team.

I don't think that it's a given just because a player is small he can't be successful in the NHL... usually with these guys (seems like most of them) there is a longer learning curve as they need to learn how to be effective in a bigger, tougher NHL despite their size disadvantage... but the good ones usually figure out a way eventually.

Cammy could as well... he's got the talent, just needs the time.