Thread: Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Jody Shelley (3 years/$1.1M per)
View Single Post
Old
07-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Flyersguru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
The 13th forward should be earning about, what, 700K? Ours earns 400K more than that.

Judging by what the other goalies signed for so far, Leighton should have gotten about 1.1 million. He's pulling in 400K more as well.

That's 800,000 dollars of cap pissed away.

I think that that duly deserves criticism, but not our HF-style lynch mob. Certainly Randy Jones' mismanagement was worse than these two mistakes.

Are Shelley's fights worth 400,000 dollars of intangibles? Say, 2,000 Shelley jerseys being sold to fans who love fighting? Is that 400K worth having his personality in that locker room? The enforcer position indeed seems stupid from afar but we're not the ones going out there and skating against other armed people sometimes trying to hurt you intentionally.

And the 400K to Leighton...is that extra 400K a signal to not just Michael Leighton, but to the rest of the team, that the Flyers are a fraternal type of organization who will take care of their own? Could that be? I'm not claiming to know the answer, but I will say that the mood of a franchise, and of a locker room, goes a hell of a long way in deciding the fate of a team, and whether a fanbase will show up and shell out.

In terms of perspective of GM blunders, this in no way is close IMO to the Flyers going with the Beezer instead of CuJo or Richter, or not trading Lindros to the Leafs for Kaberle, or failing to acquire Ray Bourque, or even letting Recchi go after the lockout. They were all indeed in a non-capped universe though.
Shelley isn't the 13th forward.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote