View Single Post
Old
07-05-2010, 04:53 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The Devils are always a good team and everyone thinks they will be out of the playoffs but time and time again they show they are one of the best in the East.

Any team with Parise, Zajac, Elias, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Zubrus, Clarkson and Zharkov is going to be good. Now add Kovalchuk and watch out.

Yes they lost Martin, but they gained Volchenkov AND Tallinder, two very good defencemen. Since Niedermayer left and Stevens retired their defence has always been suspect yet they always deliver.
They will have to re-sign Parise after this season as well, he atleast doubles his current cap hit (3.125M) going forward. Andy Greene on defense should get a significant raise as well. But they have some guys like Rolston and Arnott coming off the books, as well.

Adding Kovalchuk to the team for 7 years is a risk, but IMO it's a great fit for them going forward. He easily fills the void that will be left from Elias as he declines and eventually retires. A 1-2 punch of Parise-Kovalchuk is perhaps only behind Crosby-Malkin and Ovechkin-Backstrom.

I do have questions to how well Kovalchuk fits into a "team" game. He excelled in Atlanta because he was the king pin, he is arguably only the 2nd best player on the Devils (Personally, I'd take Parise over Kovy any day of the week based on overall play).. But NJ has a team-first mentality. Atlanta actually improved a little after Kovy was gone, and NJ really didn't fare all that great in the playoffs.

I don't know if we we're involved in the sweepstakes at all, or if Kovy had interest in coming here but at that term/dollar amount I would have found a way to fit him somehow. In another sense though, I'm glad he doesn't play for us. Just have incredibly mixed feelings about him.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote