View Single Post
Old
10-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Blackjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
I agree that if you're talking about the last decade the Stars franchise beats them. But frankly, how well did the North Stars do in their first five years, and how long did it take them to make it into the upper echelon? If I'm correct, the North Stars didn't do anything until 1991 and arguably were the laughing stock of the league, except for maybe New Jersey. (Gretzky called NJ a mickey mouse organization at one point)

But if you want to talk about now....Ottawa is a superior team in every aspect. Better forwards for cheaper, a more solid defensive corps 1 through 6(plus 7 and 8).

Goalies? I give Ottawa the edge because Lalime has more regular season and playoff experience. How is Turco more proven than Lalime? He has 1 season as a starter, and a losing record in the playoffs. Not only that, but Turco is 28 and Lalime is 29. So it's not like you can argue that he's really young and an upcomer. As Ottawa fans have heard time and again it's what you do in the playoffs that count, not the regular season. So I'll take Lalime and you guys can keep Turco.

On top of that Ottawa has some excellent youth with guys like Spezza, Emery, Volchenkov, Havlat, Hossa, etc, etc. Of these, only Emery won't be on them team this year. I'll admit that I don't know as much about the Stars prospects as I do the Sens prospects, but the Sens quality youth is unrivalled in the NHL. That's because their youth is in the NHL now. As much as I can be called a homer in this case, so can you. But I'd still rather be Ottawa at this point than Dallas!
Do you have any idea what we're talking about?