View Single Post
Old
03-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Gags1288

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94
I read earlier today that Marcus Ragnarsson is most likely done playing hockey in the NHL, opting to play in the SEL instead back home. What I was wondering is who will be the Flyers top six defensemen next season if the lockout ends? I'm guessing something like this:

1) Johnsson
2) Desjardins
3) Pitkanen
4) Markov
5) Seidenberg
6) ?

But I'm not sure about the 5th and 6th spots really. Will they try to re-sign Malakhov? Or Timander? I was just curious.
Right now, the flyers really only have 4 defenseman for next year, that would be Johnsson, Pitkanen, Markov and Seidenberg. With 24 percent roll backs, the buyouts of Leclair and Amonte, and a cap around 40 million, the Flyers should have around 6 million or so to spend on a couple of d-men. If there is that clause about a franchise player, that would probably free up another 6 to go after a top 6 forward. Projected lineup

Gagne-Carter-Roenick- 9 mil
Knuble-Handzus-UFA - 3.5 mil + UFA
Kapanen-Primeau-Stevenson - 8 mil
Brash-Richards-Sharpe- 3 mil

Johnsson-Pitkanen - 3 mil
Markov-Seidenberg - 3 mil
UFA-UFA

Esche
Nittymakki = 1.5 mil

That adds up to 31 million + 3 UFA's, the numbers are rough estimates, but you get the jist and if the Flyers are allowed to declare Roenick a franchise player and not have that number count against the cap, that would open up even more room. I doubt Desjardins will be back, I'd love to see the Flyers take a run at Neidermayer and a physical d-man. Offensively, the Flyers could resign Zhamnov or make a run at a Palffy or Demitra if they fail to sign a big name defenseman. The flyers will be able to ice a fairly cheap, young, and competitive team.