View Single Post
Old
04-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
I think there's also some inflation of Iginla's value. Lets not kid ourselves, he is one of the top players in the game right now.

But... Jagr was similarly one of the top 5 players in the game when he was dealt and all he got in return was a top prospect (Beech) and two solid prospects. Yes, Jagr did have more 'character' questions. But Jagr also had a few Cups, Scoring Titles and an MVP or two that Iginla doesn't possess.

Even if you don't want to put comparison of Iginla to Jagr... I highly doubt it would take Ovechkin, Fehr, Semin, Halpern etc... etc... etc... to bring him to Washington.

I'd sincerely doubt that Iginla would fetch the potential of Ovechkin and a #1 in this coming draft... (If that ends up being Crosby/Brule) That's 2 basically number 1 slot talents for a really outstanding player.

Not saying he hasn't proven more, or isn't more valuable to a team right now... but Hockey economics play into this.

Like it or not, if there is some move to a Cap, Calgary might be forced to at least listen to offers for Iginla. He will have to take less to stay, or the Flames will have to pair down the roster in order to keep him.

That fact alone would limit the asking price and value of a player like Iginla.

I could see an Ovechkin, Eminger, Fehr package with maybe a pick or two (definitely not the 05 #1 or 06... but certainly some 2nds and so forth) But... even that would be a tough one to swallow for cap fans.