Old
07-07-2010, 09:56 PM
matt trick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Dale Mitchell for Clowe

Thoughts?
Dale Mitchell- 5'9 prospect who will be spectacularly lucky to become a top 6 forward, or NHL player at all.
Ryane Clowe- top 6 LW who hits, fights, and is considered a leader by Shark teammates and coaching staff. Unfortunately he is merely average defensively and slow. Three years at 3.625 million remaining. No NTC.
Thomas Kaberle- Top pairing d-man and high end PPQB. Excellent first pass, accurate shot, average size, fairly priced at a 4.25 mill cap hit. Cons: only adequate defensively, not physical, one year remaining on current contract, almost certainly unwilling to re-sign with a western team.

We both know that comparison isn't even close, so why bother making it?

Getting a power forward LW of Clowe's quality undeniably meets two of Toronto's needs- toughness in the top 6 and left winger capable of putting up 50-60 points.

Kaberle fills San Jose's need of a top pairing d-man, but only in the short term, and his greatest asset (as a PPQB) isn't something San Jose is desperate for- though his puckmoving would be rather valuable.

At the end of the day Kaberle is a better player than Clowe, but he is also five years older, signed for two fewer years, and is a virtual certainty to not re-sign with a western team. I could certainly see a deal done based on something around these two, but I think Toronto would want more than just Clowe, and San Jose would refuse without getting an extension- which is unlikely to happen.

I think Toronto and the leafs fans should happily keep Kaberle, but those fans who think they are going to get something like a Neal or Setoguchi are going to be disappointed. Than again, I don't see Kabs being traded either, because the Leafs would get.

matt trick is online now   Reply With Quote