Thread: Switzerland: Tired of beating the winners
View Single Post
Old
07-09-2010, 11:12 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokechecker View Post
No, I don't agree with you that the Slovaks still have an edge over the Swiss in international junior-competitions. The games between them are since maybe three years VERY equal with Swiss having a little better teams and the Slovaks have still the small edge with their top-players but actually also this view is very shaky lately if you look at Josi, Sbisa and Niederreiter. The Czechs did come down a bit but are still better - and I also show this in my ranking and the quality-points - but it's not anymore "head and shoulders-better", no - I don't agree with this. Your first mentioned group with Jagr, Elias, Havlat, Hejduk I do agree with head and shoulders but the second group, the younger group with Voracek, Tlusty, Frolik I don't agree- yes they are still better but not head and shoulders - I can tell you that Josi is really good - you will mark my word - Niederreiter was a top5-pick (with this he might be a bit overrated but he definitely deserved to be a top10-pick), Sbisa is a top-prospect what is supported by a consensus of NHL-scouts. I agree that we still have problems to produce high-end-players but we lately produced a big amount of good players. The proof for this thesis was our team in the last WC - we played with a "B-Team" and still managed to compete with Canada and the Czechs (incl. Jagr) and did beat in a really good game the "A-team" of Latvia.

Thomas Roost
Central Scouting Europe / NHL
I agree that Sbisa and Neidereitter are top prospects and I've seen Josi play a few times and agree that he is good. That being said, the Czech Republic still have better prospects and young players than Switzerland. The way that I look at it is that Voracek is as good or better than Niedereitter, David Musil is going to be a top 3 pick potentially so > over Sbisa, and although the Czech's don't have 1 player that is equal to Josi, they have more depth in guys like Jordan, Gudas and Polasek.

Here is how you can look at it:

Players under 25 who have or will probably have NHL careers.

Czech Republic
Voracek
Frolik
Musil
Frk
Tlusty
Kindl
Hanzal
Smid
Krejci
Olesz
Neuvirth
Cervenka
Pavelec
Kana
Sobotka
Polak
M. Michalek (26)

Switzerland
Sbisa
Niedereitter
Josi
Weber
Wick
Mayer (born in Czech)
Simek (Slovak born, does he rep. Swiss?)
Jorg
Which country do you think has the better team?

FTR I don't have anything against the Swiss and I hope that they continue to improve because I want hockey to grow everywhere, but I really do think that you are wrong with your analysis of the Swiss. I'm sorry, but that is just my opinion.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote