Thread: Switzerland: Tired of beating the winners
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2010, 12:25 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokechecker View Post
Finally I don't only partly agree - I do fully agree with this post. Right you are.

Thomas
Thank you Mr. Roost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokechecker View Post
I think you got it right if you tell that the small nations are improving but not catching up. They are especially improving with plain results because the easiest way to "improve" is to play very good and disciplined defense, to play clever without the puck and this e.g. exactly what Switzerland does. So the results on first sight are much better than 15-20 years ago when we did loose with double-digit numbers to the big nations. So we loose usually in pretty tight games result-wise and even win the one or the other but if you analyse the skill-difference between our players - and the same goes for the other small nation-players - and the best Canadien, Swedish. Russian, US-players - it's still pretty big - but it doesn't result anymore in huge goal-difference because the small nations did learn how to destroy a constructive game how to keep the goal-against-score low. Actually I noticed the same in the soccer-world-cup. Switzerland did beat Spain in a lucky game but if you analyse fair the game, experts will find out that the Spanish players are so much better than ours.

Thomas
This is exactly what I was thinking. They are improving, but so is the rest of the hockey world. I love that hockey is growing in these countries and hope that more players start getting drafted from them. It will be nice to see another Anze Kopitar-like player come into the NHL again.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote