View Single Post
Old
07-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Pee-air McGuire is doing the dancing turd again.

A few years back, Bryzgalov was said to be of golden worth on the trade market, as he had an impressive playoffs. After much speculation, he went on the waiver wire to get picked-up for peanuts.
Well, I think he proved the entire league retarded on that one, having come in second in Vezina voting this year, and earning a post season 2nd all star team berth. Not sure how much I'd rely on this situation to "determine" the worth of goalies in trades, as I'd imagine there are at least a few teams that would "up the ante" or at least put in a bid if they could go back in time.

Quote:
Ever since, goalies have gone for much lower than their market value. The full and complete realization that goalies' worth on the trade market was now at an all-time low, hit when Luongo got traded for much much lower than his market value.
I still don't know how much lower than his "market value" I consider that return. Bertuzzi, after coming back from his suspension and dealing with all that drama, had just put up his 3rd best season (statistically) and was still only 30. Allen was still a 24/25 year old former 4th overall pick and top defensive prospect coming into that season. Finally, Auld, a former 2nd round pick, was still only 25 and had provided some pretty reliable (yet unspectacular) goaltending up to that point.

Flip it around, and you have Auld, who (minus the incredible post season) was essentially in the same position as Halak was this year (25 year old who "stole" the starting job from the expected #1, Cloutier). They had to add a still producing Bertuzzi and Allen (still a top defensive prospect/project that season) to get Luongo and a 6th round pick. That's a bit low of a return for Luongo, perhaps (especially if you're one of those firmly on his jock considering him a goaltending god), but not horrible.

Quote:
The return we got for Halak, is almost as good Florida had for Luongo...
I think I showed above that this is probably not the case, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not going to fight to defend it tooth and nail.

Quote:
Anyone saying Saint-Louis got the advantage in that trade are smoking some really good stuff... really, they did? Please bring out a list of all goalie trades in the post-lockout era, you will see just how much your bias is blinding you.
Well, let's be honest. They added one of the best goalies in the league to their roster without having to give up a roster player to do it. That has to be considered an "advantage", no matter how good Eller is projected by many to be in the future. It's up to Eller's development and potential to justify the trade now, and not the other way around.

And I don't think a list of goalie trades is going to provide very much insight. Everyone should have trouble finding suitably comparable deals in which such a young promising goalie, coming off a remarkable season helping lead his team to such heights, and still expected to be very affordable once signed, was traded by a team. Many seem to involve goalies in their UFA (not RFA) years, and that obviously affects value/potential return.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote