View Single Post
Old
07-11-2010, 07:28 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
How are you doing your squats? Specifically, are you doing them very, very heavy (for you), in very low rep ranges? This is the most beneficial way to lift for explosive power. Single leg squats are great also. When you're skating your using one leg to explode at a time, and there are all kind of other muscles being called on that don't get used the same way in a regular squat. Dead lifts are pretty important too (most guys who do squats do deadlifts, just figured I'd say it just in case).

A lot of sprinters use isometric exercises to get their muscles to develop maximum power very early in the contraction (explosive power). So pretty much any exercise you would normally do, adapted to work isometrically will help your muscle develop a greater percentage of it's peak power right away. Of course working to increase your strength still helps.

Good luck.
I generally do a warmup set with just the bar, another warmup set with moderate weight, then 3 work sets with as much weight as I can handle, 6 reps per set. I go pretty low on my squats too, so my upper quads are level with my knees at the bottom. I see a lot of guys just doing shallower squats, and you can certainly do more weight this way, but always figured it was bad form?

As for deadlifts, do them occasionally, but often too lazy as it's such a pain to get the weights on and off the bar (my gym doesn't have any sort of rack for the deadlift bar, it just sits on the ground). Should just man up and do them more often though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
Whats your acceleration technique like? In my experience, some players keep the same acceleration technique as their long stride which I think is not ideal - especially in rec league players. Thus it takes them longer to reach their top speed, which may be pretty good, it just takes them awhile to get to that top speed.

When I was in my mid-late teens, my acceleration was average and I worked trying to improve it so I watched NHLers with good acceleration - at that time it was Bure, Mogilny (pre-NJ) - and really tried to break down their technique from a stationary or near stationary position.

I found that these two skaters especially widened their skate blade position to a wide V stance like 40-45 degrees in their first 2-5 strides (also shorter because your legs aren't meant to extend that long when twisted like that) then they transitioned to a more efficient, conventional longer stride.

Work on improving that, if you haven't already tried that - if you have, then improve your strength that works the leg muscles when using that acceleration stance/technique I described. Quads, glutes, core area, whatever other muscles are in that area - you'll never want to skate around like this all the time, you just use too much energy and you'll want to change your technique after the first 4-6 steps or when the acceleration isn't required to more efficient stride that doesn't use as much energy.

Hopefully this helps you, I went from being average acceleration to the best on my team shortly after - it takes a little while to get used to when you first try changing it, but will become second nature and you'll be winning races to loose pucks all the time. For long term acceleration in the longer stride, just improve your fitness and maybe watch a power skating video to see if your stride is long enough and includes the toe snap at the end of each stride.
Awesome, will definitely try to really focus on the v-shaped stride next time I go to stick and puck, see how it feels.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote