View Single Post
Old
07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Local Broadcast Revenue Thread

This comment came up in the Is the Sun Belt Expansion becoming a success? (Mod: or Non-traditional markets) thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Nope.

US National Broadcast deals + 24 US Local RSN Broadcast deals >> Canadian National Broadcast deals + 6 Canadian Local Broadcast deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I'd feel better about this claim if you could fill in the numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Source?
My comment was based on a guesstimate - recognizing 24 > 6, the large local TV deals of some US teams (NYI, Detroit, etc), and the fact that even small market teams receive significant local tv revenues (The 'Yotes received ~5M/yr according to the BK docs, IIRC).

I thought it would be useful to actually document just what the NHL's local deals are.

If there is enough feedback, I'll summarize in a table in this first post.

I'll start with the otherwise inexplicable New York Islander deal with MSG - ranging from $17.5M in '00-'01 to $36M in '30-'31. The last reported numbers I've seen put it currently at ~$22-24M/yr (but I'll look for a more definitive link).

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/11/sp...es-misery.html

Quote:
Cablevision recoiled at the possibility of paying the Islanders 18 1/2 percent of total FSNY-MSG revenues. In the talks, the team got an extension through the 2030-31 season, which features yearly payments rising from $14.8 million next season and $17.5 million in 2000-1 to $36 million in the final year, and the possibility of lousy performances causing a breach disappeared from the final contract.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote