View Single Post
Old
07-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I generally do a warmup set with just the bar, another warmup set with moderate weight, then 3 work sets with as much weight as I can handle, 6 reps per set. I go pretty low on my squats too, so my upper quads are level with my knees at the bottom. I see a lot of guys just doing shallower squats, and you can certainly do more weight this way, but always figured it was bad form?

As for deadlifts, do them occasionally, but often too lazy as it's such a pain to get the weights on and off the bar (my gym doesn't have any sort of rack for the deadlift bar, it just sits on the ground). Should just man up and do them more often though.
Shallow squats are something all trainers ***** about seeing people do. Ass-to-calves is great, sounds like that's exactly what you're doing. If I were you, I would look at possibly doing dead lifts with the same frequency and intensity as you're doing your squats. Nothing hits your ass muscles and whole posterior chain as hard as the deadlift (spare us the jokes everyone). And you're going to get more oomph everywhere in your stride, from beginning to end.

If you're interested, here is a decent article on how one coach improved explosive acceleration in his sprinters (who were already pretty fast, obviously) using primarily the deadlift. The good stuff doesn't show up till about halfway down the page.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote