Old
07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
It is time we stop feeding JVR milk and cookies. He really needs to show marked improvement over last year. I just pray he is not a mama's boy like 88 and gets with the program. We need him big time this coming season and I hope he comes through.
Uhhh, what? I see that Jester has since responded with the cold hard facts for ya, but you honestly have no idea what the development curve for his player type is and no eye for skills if you think last year was a disappointment. He'll get more playing time, and I do think he's ready for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's funny that, when you think about, trading Hartnell or Gagne would be the best thing for JVR's development. As is, JVR is going to be stuck behind those two on our third line again if neither Hartnell or Gagne get moved. If Gagne gets moved then we lose our best winger though...so it's kind of a double-edged sword there.
It is a tough situation. Hartnell's not the same player as we saw in the regular season, and never consistently the player we saw in the playoffs either, but Gagne's cap hit makes him the much better trade candidate. Moving up a slot in the depth chart is really something that I'd rather JVR earn than be given, but as I said before, I think he's ready for the playing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I actually think his hands are bad enough that he hurts us in the defensive zone as well. He can't really pass or receive a pass, so we have a much harder time getting clean outlets when he's on the ice.

I just don't really see a spot for him right now, I'd rather see what one of the college kids can do tbh.
Thought you were talkinag about Hartnell for that part.

Now that Shelley is likely to occupy that 4th line spot (or 13th on some nights) I find it hard to fit Powe. I do like his energy game, but there's no denying that he's not a great defensive player. I'm wary of giving any of the college guys a shot because of how difficult the adjustment to the pro level can be in terms of speed and number of games. Usually I'd say a guy coming out of NCAA could use at least a year of AHL even if they're physically NHL-ready.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote