Thread: Speculation: Season Expectations
View Single Post
Old
07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i see it this way. what have we done to address our main problem- lack of goal scoring ? dubi, cally, avery, arty- those guys might have better seasons sure but will they score more goals?

the only new player really is mza. hes talented but what impact will he have ?

we have kreider, mcd and stepan who seem to be guys who will play for us soon.

grachev is close as well. but none can be counted on this year.

as for our veterans, its hard to undervalue redden, rozy and capt quaalude.

i mean one is a borderline nhl'er, the other an average 2nd pair dman who does not shoot the puck and the team capt is an aging, slowing checking centerman who's best attribute is penalty killing.

is hard to be realistic with this bunch without sounding negative. so many ifs... and we havent even begun to mention injuries.
Goal scoring will continue to be the problem, you're correct.

However, outside of Kovalchuk I'm not sure there was a legitimate option. When you start throwing money places you end up with the Drury's and Redden's and the very people you and I agree are hurting the team.

Our prospects all have potential. We'll see what team comes out of camp.

I wouldn't expect Grachev or Stepan to make the team but at the same time Sather and Torts' quotes about them seem very interesting.

Dubi and Arty taking steps forward. Kreider in the future.

I disagree though and think it's very easy to undervalue Rozy, Redden, and Drury.

Redden is a bottom pair defenseman. Whether people want to believe that or not I'm sorry. He is an albatross for this organization because of the money. In a salary cap world you can't discount that, however if we're assessing play he is fine on the bottom pair.

Rozsival is more undervalued than any player on this team and has been for years. His biggest fault is his mistakes are glaring ones that people harp on for the next three months, all while simultaneously failing to acknowledge how well he's played over that same time.

Drury is the type of player you need on your team. It's just unfortunate that his cap hit is crippling as well. He's the best third line ever though. Love your nickname for him though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote