Thread: News Article: Jody Shelley a good signing?
View Single Post
Old
07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Sad, because the use of enforcers is why Wayne Gretzky was more or less left alone for the most part. "Lay a hand on our elites and you get a beat down."

Matt Cooke last year absolutely proved why the instigator penalty is a complete waste. Plus the fact that the refs are so inconsistent when it comes to handing it out.
I really am not a huge fan of fighting, and it is, in part, due to the clownish nature of it in the NHL now with the instigator. 95% of the fights serve zero purpose other than guys just showing off that they're willing to go and justify their roster spot. I mean, Jody Shelley fighting the Boogaards and Orrs of the world has ZERO impact on the game. People that think it does, don't understand what the role of the enforcer was 30 years ago... he didn't go after the other enforcer (necessarily) he went after everyone.

I also agree that the officiating/league need to step up their game if they're going to continue with the instigator. It's fine to say we want to get away from vigilante justice (a reasonable position for the league's office), but then you need to crack down on the jackholes out there.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote