View Single Post
Old
07-14-2010, 03:06 PM
  #42
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Smithson is not going anywhere he is Trotz's boy. Plus why give away a real good penalty killer. Good faceoff man. Spaling is still young and makes more than Smithson anyways. You also have to factor injuries which happen every year. So why get rid of either. Smithson can't go down to Milw. Spaling can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
as long as Smithson stays in the $750k or less area and he doesn't show a significant decrease in usefulness. Why should we ever look to move him?

He's a good faceoff guy, kills penalties, won't hurt the team in his 4th line role. Maybe just as important is he's a great character guy. Let him ride it out here, for the money we aren't going to make any upgrade in his place.


I just personally think why not have a younger guy?? The Hawks and Penguins both recently won cups on very young players legs. Spaling is significantly younger than Smithson, plus can play basically the same game and he is also a character guy, I have met him a couple times before, very good guy.

I just think I would rather have Spaling for basically same money and he is alot younger, and could maybe one day in the near future pull off some key goals in a playoff series. OHL or not, he has put up better numbers than Smithson in past juniors, I just think he could be clutch like Travis Moen, or something.

I also am not a fan of the theory that Spaling can be sent to Milwaukee without having to pass through waivers and Smithson would have to pass through, so lets just keep Smithson in the lineup. I do not like that idea, its not fair to Spaling or any of the other guys in Milwaukee. Let the best/youngest guy go at 'er!



Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
The only reason would be that Spaling beats him out. There are a lot of talented players in Milwaukee that are NHL ready; Spaling, Klausen, Halischuk, the Santorellis, Thuresson. That's 6 players that can play NHL level game.

Now, do I expect them to beat out Smithson, nope. I just say there are options. I fully expect: Smithson-Goc-Andersson. With Belak and Tootoo in the box.

Frankly, Tootoo is making too much to be an extra forward but it's not my money.
Is Tootoo worth the money the Preds pay him based mainly on his go-out-and-stir-things-up type of play? He is one of the most well recognized predators and well known, a fan favourite, but if he going to be a Predator his whole career???


Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Andersson is going to have to beat out guys like Ward, Tootoo, Smithson and Goc to smell the lineup. He'll also have to beat out O'Reilly. Camp is going to be fun to watch because no one is assured a roster spot except for the obvious choices.
Camp is definitely going to be very fun! I wish I lived closer to I could check it out. It will be interesting to see how it ends up on opening night roster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, since its summer and there is nothing to do but argue minutia, i will counter your argument (wsp) by stating that last years 9 goals were an aberration created by the fact that he played on what was essentially our 2nd line, and that 4 or 5 goals is a much more typical Smithson output when he is on the 4th line which is the key.
Well put!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote