View Single Post
Old
07-14-2010, 06:36 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
This is my first post since we lost. I've been in that casual-read-of-the-boards-but-not-motivated-to-post-the-the-dead-of-Summer mode. The Erat thing got me going. Martin Erat is Bill Buckner on skates. Should Buckner have been playing first on his bad wheel. Maybe not, but he made the mistake that lost the game for the Red Sox in 1986, and so did Erat in 2009.

It was dumb hockey. Forget about who was in the game, forget about the 200 feet and the other guys that had a shot at stopping the rush. Martin Erat should have turned toward the boards and protected the puck against the boards and forced the short handed team to take the puck from him. To center the puck up the slot is a mental error or enormous magnitude. No way the Hawks rush up and score if they steal the puck behind the net while Erat is against the boards. Erat enabled an odd-man rush while we were on a PP. With him out of the play, and Arnott rushing the net looking for the pass, it was a 5-on-4 going the other way with momentum by a great player.

I love Marty but he's Bill Buckner on skates.
Go watch the video. There was no odd man rush. It was 2 on 2 going the other way. We had 5 guys back in the zone when the goal was scored. We had three guys chasing Toews who took a shot. We had one forward in the slot covering Keith and Kane. Chicago controlled the puck in our zone and our coverage broke down. Erat's pass led to the goal but it certainly wasn't the only thing that went wrong. While the mistake was made, there were still other players on the ice that could've helped right the situation.

To me, the best play that we could've made was playing 4 corners with the puck. Why limit the play to the offensive zone, spread the ice, get your best puck handlers out on the ice and play keep away. Use the entire ice. That to me was a bigger mistake than the play Erat made, the strategy involved.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote