View Single Post
07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
600 lb squat my ass. Unless you're some workout freak, 600 lb squat is incredibly unrealistic. 400 is extremely realistic.

My advice (and others will tell you the same). Try squatting you're own body weight.
Methinks it depends on the player.

600lb doesn't seem crazy for a very big, very strong hockey player, but I highly doubt that it's the norm. It's a great feat for sure, but I don't think it's really necessary. I recall reading somewhere that Marian Gaborik, who stands at 6'1 and tips the scale at about 190ish, can squat 500lb... and that's considered exceptional at his weight, but below average by Scotty's standards.

And even so... the ability to squat 500lb doesn't make Marian Gaborik a fantastic skater... it simply enables him to be a fantastic skater. Hockey training at the high level has moved away from the bodybuilding type training. Some people mistake this for no weightlifting at all... which is foolish. You will hurt yourself pretty badly doing plyometrics if you're not already very strong to begin with. You get strong by lifting heavy weights.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote