Old
07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Methinks it depends on the player.

600lb doesn't seem crazy for a very big, very strong hockey player, but I highly doubt that it's the norm. It's a great feat for sure, but I don't think it's really necessary. I recall reading somewhere that Marian Gaborik, who stands at 6'1 and tips the scale at about 190ish, can squat 500lb... and that's considered exceptional at his weight, but below average by Scotty's standards.

And even so... the ability to squat 500lb doesn't make Marian Gaborik a fantastic skater... it simply enables him to be a fantastic skater. Hockey training at the high level has moved away from the bodybuilding type training. Some people mistake this for no weightlifting at all... which is foolish. You will hurt yourself pretty badly doing plyometrics if you're not already very strong to begin with. You get strong by lifting heavy weights.
I'm pretty sure Gaborik is a 600lbs squatter. Ben Johnson was a 600lbs x 6 squatter for 2 sets(could also bench 2 reps at 407) at 178lbs. I realize though how far in front of everyone Johnson was at his sport, but it gives you a great idea of what elite level strength for speed athletes looks like. 500lbs is more than fine for sure, but I should be more precise. If I was looking to be a high level player, that is the number I would shoot for. It all depends on your goal, a 400lbs is a good goal for the OP.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote