View Single Post
Old
07-16-2010, 01:21 PM
pucko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Here are some protips for the newbies: If you're playing with a particulary immobile defensemen as a winger, try anchoring your butt along the boards just above the hash marks with your outside skate (the one closest to the neutral zone) against the boards pointing towards the centre ice faceoff dot. This will give him an easy pass option.

If he's in danger he can just slap the puck up the boards toward your side... it will bounce off your skate and come right in front of you, allowing you to take the time to make the easy pass to your centre, who should be somewhere between your blue line and centre ice by now.
Oh yeah, this is one of those little but important things that I had no idea about when I switched from pond hockey to organized hockey. After losing the puck at the boards a few times, I realized how important it was to master this skill as soon as possible. Actually it is not that difficult to learn. Problem is you need a partner to practice it but most guys I skate with would rather do something else. It just doesn't seem "important" and it rarely comes to mind when people try to prioritize things they need to work on first. But this situation comes up a lot during the game. Certainly a lot more frequently than an opportunity to show off one's breakaway dekes or a wicked slapshot.

pucko is offline   Reply With Quote