View Single Post
Old
07-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I'd advise against going that low. It's better to keep your heels planted on the ground. If you lean forward onto the balls of your feet you're putting unnecessary strain on your knee joint.

If you're looking for explosive first steps it's half a matter of technique and half explosive strength.

Technique:
Bend your knees to about 90 degrees.
Lean forward to engage the edges of your skate blades (they've got to dig into the ice to provide traction.
Drive hard with your legs to full extension -- you're a sprinter springing off the starter blocks. Your first four or five steps you should be sprinting on your edges, not skating/gliding.

Strength:
Just realize that you're aiming for explosive leg strength. Work to improve your vertical leap moreso than total weight you can squat. Also remember that your toes will be turned outward (about 45 degrees) so you can push off on your blades. This is why building up your adductor and abductor muscles is important -- you're pushing out to the side, not straight back.
That's probably really good advice actually. Ass-to-calves is just what I am used to hearing trainers yell at someone when they're doing really shallow squats, not that many people ever actually get their ass down to their heels. I think it's just something to make you go as deep in the squats as you can.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote