View Single Post
Old
07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Hindsight? It seems to me this is the way you judge a draft. You wait the years it takes to play out, and you come to a decision as to whether or not it was successful. If you have another method for judging the quality of a draft - other than what you're choosing to call "hindsight" - by all means let's hear it.

In any case, it's certainly not hindsight for those here who slagged the Jessiman pick at the time.

Oh I doubt that. Fanboys drop that particular phrase all the time when they want to end a conversation that offends them.

1. The current team is what it is because of hideous drafting at the beginning of the decade. It's pretty hard to forget bad drafts when the team is missing the playoffs in part because of those bad drafts.

2. I take it you don't mind if some of us withold judgment on these "excellent drafts" that have yet to yield an NHLer? Or those of us who think a draft that yielded us Lauri Korpikoski and Al Montoya in the first round (not to mention exactly one quality NHLer from a collection of EIGHT picks in the first three rounds) do not reach a real standard of "excellence"?
We got Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan in 2004....still have Dane Byers.

We got Staal in 2005, Sauer and Dupont are still in the system, Tom Pyatt was in the Gomez deal that brought Valentenko and McDonagh over, MA Cliche was in the Sean Avery deal.

2006 We got a 2nd rounder and another prospect for Sangs. Artem Anisimov is already an NHLer, now it's time to see what his ceiling is.

2007 is a bit of a wash, Cherapanov's death is bad luck and all you can wonder is what if? Imagine he panned out and was our 2nd line RWer by now? Lafleur was an awful pick, then we didn't pick again until the 4th round. Hagelin's a pretty highly regarded prospect though.

2008 yielded another NHLer already in Del Zotto. He's established himself where others at his position picked before him haven't (although the Rangers were helped by a deep draft on defense...Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn, Pietrangelo, Myers). Derek Stepan is already one of our top 3 prospects, Grachev as well, Kundtratek is still considered someone that's on track for the NHL, Dale Weise could crack the 4th line this season and looked good in limited action last year...

And I think what's funny is that you say that's how you judge a draft, but at the time of these drafts so many of the picks the Rangers made could have and were great picks in the eyes of many. Sanguinetti was the perfect example of this.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote