Old
04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
no I'm not.

I'm making the assumption that there isn't a big enough motivation to come back to the NHL for a guy that has won 3 Cups already, made more money that he'll need to have a comfortable life, while having some serious injury concerns, where those around him, including his family, have told him to think about hanging it up.

On top of that, I'm assuming that this is a decision he will make, because I'm assuming that saying he is thinking of retiring from the NHL, and finishing up in MoDO, with his dad coaching there, has some truth behind it - that there's actually some thought put into his comments, and he didn't just say it for the hell of it.

I'm also assuming that this is the right time for him to make this commitment to retire from the NHL, because for the first time in his career he's a UFA, not a RFA. Furthermore, I'm assuming that the timing is right now, because of a full lockout year, and him playing in MoDo, where he suffered yet another major injury, will have him thinking that he wants to finally retire, and live his family life, instead of going through another physically damaging season in the NHL.

The only assumption I'm making with this on money is the fact - and it is a fact - that he doesn't *need* to make another big pay cheque in the NHL. If he did, then coming back for $5mill or $10mill makes much more sense... but when money isn't a factor, then I don't see him putting his already damaged body on the line for another season in the NHL where he's won 3 Cups and has done everything else he could as a player there.

Those are my assumptions!

now... your assumption is that he'll ignore that, ignore his health concerns, ignore his family asking him to stay there, and not return to the NHL, to come back into a new CBA NHL, to what? win a 4th Cup? Fierce competitor or not, it's not like he's never thought about retiring - he's been thinking about it for a while, and getting injured every year, including a lockout year, in Sweden, has to go further to convincing him, the time is now.

If he had no health concerns at all, then I'd think there was a good (if not GREAT) chance he'd come back for a 4th Cup... but I don't think you can ignore this issue.
Well he took below the NHL minum to try and win a title in a lesser league. The last time he sat out he came back earlier when he said he would. We've been hearing he's on the verge of retiring and going to Sweden for years, FROM AFTONBLADET. I'm not sure if his father is on the same wave length as he is, and Kent is a far cry from Carl Lindros in any event and I've never heard him voice a peep of displeasure in any event.

Appreciate the flater, but we're only at 2 cups