View Single Post
Old
07-19-2010, 06:32 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Congrats to Poile for not standing Pat. I would say Lombardi at 28 should be equal to or greater than Arnott at 36 with concussions. Different strengths though.

One down side is Arnott only had 1 year, now we are locked in with Lombardi for 3, Legwand for 4-5?, and Wilson. I guess they will be our centers for the indefinite future. I don't think Lombardi is anywhere near a #1 center-- a role he may fill this season.

The good: Only 28 years old, Only a 3 year contract. Not a massive overpayment. Speed. Defense. Some offense.

The questionable: Had a career year last year with 53 points and 19g, but was also given a lot of icetime out of default. Got lots of icetime, and top PP time. He really doesn't belong on the 1st line. Last year's 'OK' stats could take a hit if his PP time and icetime see a decrease. Similar to Legwand.
I think we did what we had to do. Most publications had Lombardi as the top UFA center available. Weak FA market, but I do think he's consistently gotten better as his role has increased. 53 points was a career year for him, yes...and it also would have lead our team last season. It's hard to pinpoint a single line as our "number one" line, probably this season more than ever, so yes...you could say he'll be the number one center, but at times, so will Wilson and Legwand. I think, as I said earlier, the fact that this will be the first time in a long while that we have a defensively responsible center that can also contribute offensively aside from Legwand, that the sharing of that responsibility should be beneficial to both guys. No one has to be *just* a shutdown center. It can be situational...one shift your focus is defense, another it's offense...and the other guy takes on that role.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote