Thread: Tobias Rieder
View Single Post
Old
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Having read the opinion by the Kitchener fans, he's not that popular. It sounds more along the lines of "can we please finally get a new beat writer?".

Simply put, it isn't well researched at all, way too one-sided. You can't make the assumption that every import-player had the same chance to reach the NHL.

That being said, there should be a newer article by the same author which is rather positive, no idea why there is this back and forth.
A number of years ago the writer Jeff Hicks did an unresearched article on one of the players which was rather embarrassing for the player. Hicks was undressed in public by Pete Deboer for his unprofessionalism and since then Hicks has written these type of articles every cpl months and most he says unfortunately should be taken with a grain of salt. He can skew any facts to make it work in his favor but anyone with a bit of time can refute most of his stats.

When he doesn't have an agenda he can write worthwhile articles but sometimes you'll need a decoder to decipher them.

Here's the latest article on Rieder:
http://news.therecord.com/article/744331
Quote:
“I will come to Kitchener,” said the 17-year-old Kitchener Rangers import pick when reached at home in Landshut, Germany on Monday.

Rieder, the fifth overall pick in the Canadian Hockey League’s Euro draft, will leave his hometown pro team, the Cannibals, and aims to chew up Ontario Hockey League goalies.

“I want to play the best hockey I can play with the guys in my age group,” said Rieder, who scored 10 goals playing with men in the second-tier pros last year. “That’s the main reason, I think.”

Rieder got input from his Ottawa-based agent Larry Kelly. He also spoke to another Kelly client in Boston Bruins winger Marco Sturm, a Landshut product.

“They all said it’s great here (in Canada),” Rieder said.

Rieder had a three-year contract with Landshut, but an out-clause allows him to leave to play junior in Canada. No release fees are required for the Rangers to bring him to the OHL, where good friend and Landshut teammate Tom Kuhnhackl will play for the Windsor Spitfires in 2010-11.

Last week, Rieder and his parents visited the Aud for a tour. Rieder was impressed after his three-day visit.

“I was there and I think the city is great,” he said. “The rink is unbelievable. And every game there is 7,000 (fans).”

Rieder said his parents, Manfred and Birgit, will be a little nervous about him going overseas to play when it comes time to return to the Aud in mid-August. For now, they are pleased with his OHL opportunity.

“They’re excited because it was always my dream to play in Canada,” he said.

The Rangers look loaded up front as they take a run at winning the Memorial Cup in Mississauga in 2011.

Rieder adds nicely to an arsenal that includes Jeff Skinner, Jeremy Morin, Jason Akeson, Matt Tipoff and Swedish winger Gabriel Landeskog. Rieder is also good insurance against the possible loss of Skinner or Morin to the NHL.

Skinner was the 7th overall pick of Carolina last month. Morin is a signed prospect of Chicago, which has dealt away veteran forwards like Dustin Byfuglien and Kris Versteeg to clear cap space.

Rangers coach-GM Steve Spott must prepare for the possibility Skinner and Morin might not be back. Rieder didn’t see any of his new teammates on his stop in Kitchener last week, but he did see the coaching and training staff.

“I met everyone and they are great,” he said.
I'm not sure what the fans in Germany know about Kitchener but we have a very large German population (till the 1920's Kitcheners name was Berlin) and Tobias if he wants to he could get all his schooling in German and live with German billets. Of all the cities in Canada he's probably coming to the city in which will be the easist for him to adapt to.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-19-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote