Old
07-19-2010, 07:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 50
http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

Quote:
The Flyers traded long-time winger Simon Gagne to the Tampa Bay Lightning today in exchange for defenseman Matt Walker and a fourth round draft pick in 2011.

It was expected that Gagne would be moved, but the question was where. Multiple teams were interested but the Flyers made a trade for a solid defenseman, a draft pick and most importantly, salary cap space.

The deal puts the Flyers a little more than $1 million under the cap with 23 players signed.

Gagne, 30, was the longest tenured Flyer and the co-dean (with Eagles kicker David Akers) of Philadelphia professional athletes having played for the Flyers consecutively since 2000.

“I was expecting it because of all that has happened in the last few weeks," Gagne said. "The Flyers asked me to waive my no-trade clause maybe about a month ago. At that point I was not quite ready to do that. But as time went on, I pretty much had no choice. But to hear today that I was traded is still a little bit of shock for me. It’s the first time that I have been traded.

“But, I am looking forward to going to Tampa Bay. I’m very excited. I look at this as a new challenge. They have a great bunch of guys there that I know already... I like the way the team is going right now with the new direction under Steve Yzerman and the coaching changes. It is a tough time but on the other side I am very excited to being able to play in Tampa next year.”

Gagne has one year remaining on his contract at $5.25 million and will be an unrestricted free agent after the upcoming season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote