Thread: Confirmed with Link: Gagne Would Only Waive To Tampa
View Single Post
Old
07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
thedjpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Then you waive him at that point. That is betetr than 1.7mm cap hit and a 4th rd pick. Zhitnik was a fine dman at the time. Waddel needed to make th eplayoffs so he gave up on coburn. You can hardly compare the Gagen situation to that. They had other options with Gagne. They already were in desparation mode sadly.
I don't get this line of reasoning at all.

Everybody's pissed at the return we got (not taking into the fact that it was a purely business decision - the circumstances on which it was led to are debatable), but then instead of even those things picked up, you'd rather just waive him?

It's stupid. Waiving a player is not a "fun" thing to do - GM's don't enjoy having to do that, and players don't enjoy getting waived. I mean, what if your boss came up to you and just said, "you're not really in our plans, so see ya" - would you be tempted to ever work for a place like that again? Our would you rather have him say "listen, things are tight right now, and we don't have room for you, so we're going to look to move you somewhere else, where would you like to go?"

It's good code of conduct by a business to approach somebody and offer to trade them instead of just outright waiving them - it makes people respect the organization.

It's a two way street.

You have to respect the player's preferences at well - you can't treat your employees like garbage.

I mean, do you realize that waiving a player is an impact on a player's life? You can sit here arbitrarily and offer ignorant suggestions like "oh he sucks, just waive him" like it means nothing - which to you, it does - but neglecting the fact that here is a person having to go through that.

Neither GM's nor players enjoy that aspect of the business.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote