View Single Post
Old
07-20-2010, 01:20 PM
densetsu

vCash: 500
I know a few guys who wear the roller hockey style padded shirts under their fairly beefy shoulder pads. The team they're on play a rough game, and their offensive strategy usually centers around the point men letting high, hard slapshots loose that aren't necessarily the most accurate. In this case, I'd probably wear extra padding under my shoulder pads if I played out, too.

Even at low levels, guys can shoot hard. The difference is, in a C or D division, they're usually higher shots that are regularly off by a few feet. As you get into the B and A divisions, the shots are "smarter" -- they're usually kept low to generate rebounds, and the high shots that do happen are within inches of the target.

Lower levels have more collisions, but they're slower collisions. Higher levels have less, but faster collisions. This is both man-on-man collisions, and guys falling and sliding into the boards.

Other things to consider: the number of penalties (especially tripping), and the "chippiness" of the games. The condition of the ice, which can vary a lot between summer and winter seasons, can lead to more (or less) lost edges and sliding into the boards. Even the type of pegs used in the nets can make a difference, from a little "haha sorry goalie I took your net off, here I'll fix it" to "god damnit, that net stayed on it's peg and I think I broke my collarbone".

If you're confident in your skating abilities, have great on-ice awareness, don't think there'll be many penalties, and usually stay out of the way of pucks, then you might risk using these padded shirts. Otherwise, I'd recommend using actual ice hockey shoulder pads.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote