View Single Post
Old
07-20-2010, 03:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I understand how a lot of people think that Paul Kariya could (and I guess it's possible) help fix our power play, but consider this: When Kariya was here and our PP was actually pretty decent we also had Hartnell, Sullivan, Dumont, Arnott, Legwand, Erat (both of whom were producing), Timonen, Weber, Forsberg for a third of a season, etc. Since I just got home I haven't had time to run back and look at PP numbers for those players during the 06-07 season, but something tells me PK wasn't exactly hauling everyone on his shoulders every time we had the man advantage. In fact, I know he wasn't because I watched every single game he played in Preds gear. Yes he helped that team click on the PP, but that was then. Production from 05-07 with a completely different team doesn't mean the same result will happen in 10-11.

PK also isn't a pure goal scorer. He is a set up man first, but could bury some chances. In fifteen seasons he put up 50 goals once, broke 40 twice (nearly a third time), and has been on a steady decline since leaving here. One season in St Louis isn't fair to use considering he was injured for all but 11 games, but then you have to take into account his age. Are injuries going to continue to be a problem? Probably. People don't tend to stop getting hurt or start healing faster as they age.

As Glenn pointed out, PK and Dumont's numbers are similar over a comparable number of games played. In fact, while PK has gone down in both goals and total points since 05-06, Dumont had been on a steady clip until dropping off last year with his demotion.

I think we all need to stop salivating over forwards. There is already a logjam heading into camp. What we need, as others have pointed out, is a steady, veteran blueliner and possibly a back up netminder. Any money we could throw at an aging player for reasons bordering nostalgia could be used to shore up the defense.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote