Thread: STU Tommies
View Single Post
Old
07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
rantfather

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
It's not all that easy, AUS teams do not compete on a level playing field when it comes to recruiting. A fire hydrant can recruit ten top notch guys given the resources to do so. It has taken us a lifetime at Saint Mary's and Trevor's 14 years or whatever, to catch up to Dal's hockey school size, Still not sure we are there. Some universities are so much larger they have more employment opportunities. But I have seen over 21 years working with the team and probably 30 or more watching the others; Every place has its advantages too, they have to suck it up and work collectively, alumni, coach, and administration, as a body to boost the profile, forget the "we can't keep up we're too small the other guys all cheat Jack Drover mentality", just can it. Install a mean streak and bring the pride back in small ways one step at a time. I mentioned to Trevor this year, I remember his second year, the guys started wearing the team jackets again, there was a long stretch where they just didn't bother. STU didn't always compete up to UNB's recruiting I thought, but they sure played up to it with what they had. He needs to appoint a captain who has the ability tor organize and coordinate things off the ice, so they do things together. Saint Mary's football team goes to other SMU team's games, and they virtually win it for them, jeering, hooting and hollering. The hockey team is the varsity level team at STU, they need to be leading the way in the entire dept. STU has competed during some very very tough times in the AUS over the past 25 years or so, if they were going to pack it in, they would have done so by now, I believe they can come back, they've done it before.
For what it is worth, UPEI hasn't announced a single candidate yet either. ( that I am aware of anyway) and after what that team pulled last year, I don't like their chances of any funding increases from the University.
Island Husky should give his head a shake as Bob Boucher,the now deceased legendary Huskies coach who was the BIG DOG in charge of all those Huskie championship teams who would be turning over in his grave at the thought that Dal was EVER better than SMU in men's hockey and as for the reference that the recruiting situation is NOT a level playing field......I beg to differ,IT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY pasttime and depends heavily on the sales pitch and the salesmanship of the recruiter,the small school argument that they cannot compete for the best is plain and simple a red herring. Over 50% of all AUS players are in some version of an Arts program and the other 80%(sic) wanting to be math wizards can still do so within the Arts program.

Now with respect to the employment offers as inducements at the bigger schools is also just so much "hooey",there are probably the same number of light switches at every institution that require being turne on and off at different times of the season ,so equal opportunity on that one. I have heard that Mary's had a $5 million dollar endowment left for the exclusive use of Men's hockey???? it hasn't bought them more than one national championship.

Every school,including STU has a fixed number of Full ride ,shall we say "inducements" for the purpose of assisting those student/atheletes,the rub at STU as I understand it is THEY ARE NOT BEING USED and have NOT BEEN USED by current Coach Scrouge except in rare cases of excellance ( not a good plan).
Recruiting at STU needs a big upgrade to get back to the days that a level playing field is possable. There will be no joy in STUville until realistic evaluation of the assets and competant recruiting gets underway......it may not be Rocket science but current recruiting leadership at STU doesen't seem to be getting it.