View Single Post
Old
10-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Sled2300

vCash: 500
NYR469

I'm not going to try to pretend that I have the answers on how the new CBA can be fixed. Simply put I think it would be nice to have a committee look at the types of transactions that are within the rules of the CBA but could be considered detrimental to the rest of the league. I'm also not going to venture a guess as to the rational behind what Sather has done here. However, the hypothesis that Dar put forward is what I was most interested in commenting on. If this is in fact the only reason that Sather did this then that seems to me to be an unfair activity even though it is completely with in Sather's right to do so and technically has not done anything wrong.

Just seems to me that there are rules in this current CBA that have been created with the best intensions (i.e.. waiver draft - to redistribute talented players to avoid hording by talent heavy teams) yet they have such apparent loop holes.

In this case, a team can only lose 3 players. Rangers have picked up two bodies for nothing at all. They now can only really be out one asset that they had prior to the acquisition of those players. I just don't understand why these players were placed on the waiver wire prior to the draft when the teams themselves could have used the players as bait to protect against losing more assets. Pit and CAR can now lose 4 players each and have nothing to show if they do not select anybody in the draft.

Your right if Buffalo had claimed those players I would not have said a word. The problem is that they did not. Maybe it was because the Rangers were to quick to the punch, maybe it was because they did not have the foresight to protect their own assets against being pillaged. I choose to think that it could have been because although they may have wanted to acquire two players they could not manage it from a financial stand point.

I'm not trying to say that this is the single biggest thing that is wrong with Sather. If that is the way it came across I apologize. The point I wanted to make is that it is not so much the single actions of this man but rather his whole mentality "I will do what I want when I want and I care little about what the ramifications are to the league and to the teams that are lower on the totem pole then I." It is just another example of how little this man cares about the evolvement of the league and only about how he can make himself as the focal point of discussion weither it be positive or negative.