View Single Post
Old
07-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
I'm new to hockey. I've never played an organized game, and at the moment I'm taking a learn to play class that focuses on the basics (stickhandling, passing, proper skating, etc.). There are a lot of 1 on 1 drills, and usually I do alright, but this past week, I spent almost the entire class getting beaten. Almost everyone got by me when I was on defense, and I got the puck knocked off my stick too much when I was on offense. I try not to let it get to me, but obviously I'm still thinking about it. How do you more experienced players shake off bad moments and focus on doing better next time? Is there some trick or just a state of mind?
Just a state of mind, I think. Easiest way to shake off the frustration of not progressing how you want to is to step away from the game for a couple days and then come back to it with the mindset that you are doing it to enjoy it. It's great to work out when you're pissed, but terrible to practice when you're mad IMO.

Bobby Orr got beat when he was learning the game. I'm sure Wayne Gretzky played against D-men that had his number when he was new to the game. I wouldn't sweat it man, being good at hockey just isn't that important. Enjoying what we do with whatever leisure time we can get kind of is though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote