View Single Post
07-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Lario Melieux*
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
There is only one correct answer to this:

The only way to play your best hockey is to NOT think at all while playing and be completely enveloped in the moment. Organically react to what's going on around you and act in the moment as if you, the puck, the ice, your stick... everything, is all an extension of one another. Trying to think about what to do on each drill or play is futile. The more you devote to "making a decision" for a move or a maneuver... the less in the moment you are, the less likely you are to succeed.

In that same vein, don't think about it after it happens. The moment has passed. Focus on the next drill or play BEFORE it happens, visualize what you might want to do, visualize yourself actually doing it and get the thinking about it over with BEFORE it happens. When you go up again for the next drill, don't think at all.

I've been playing hockey for 19 years (I'm almost 24) and I played 4 years of NCAA DI hockey. Whenever I talk about the concept of trying to clear my mind and not worry or stress about every day things I find myself saying that I simply can't; that my mind is too active and that I can't help but think about things that are stressing me out, etc. I've come to realize that there is ONE time in my life when I am NEVER thinking and that is when I'm on the ice. My hockey playing is completely reactionary and instinctive.

You shake it off by hardly acknowledging it.
Visualizing a play/drill is definitely important... but the part you said about not thinking and going on instincts.... I think that may not be good advice for a beginner and just a result of your hockey sense from playing 19 years.... that can't be taught or learned... just comes from playing a long time.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote